Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Scratch My Back, Peter Gabriel


It is kind of hard not to be excited by the concept of this album. Music great (and oddity) Peter Gabriel pulls together a set list of wonderful songs... by other artists.

Gabriel's voice has always been very attractive for me to listen to, but I never found many of his actual songs to be too appealing. Now, I get his incredible voice and flair for the dramatics mixed with some wonderful lyrics.

Gabriel covers my favorite Arcade Fire song, 'My Body is a Cage,' by adding some of the most brilliant mood setting string section. Actually, the whole CD is with strings... no drums or guitar.

Also covered: David Bowie, Bon Iver, Magnetic Fields, Talking Heads, Paul Simon... And, one of the most odd and exciting covers is 'Apres Moi' by Regina Spektor.

This isn't an earth shattering album. But, it is comforting in a whole new way.

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment