Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Head First, Goldfrapp

A mix of Kate Bush, ABBA, and a bit of contemporary electronic music. A mix of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Goldfrapp is always recreating their sound. One never knows what to fully expect from their next album.

I have to admit, I'm usually a little disappointed with what is released. After a while the CD usually grows on me. But, what Goldfrapp suggests as goal never seems fully developed by time the album is fully formed.

This time around, Goldfrapp is going for radio lite pop songs. There is nothing here anyone really wants to embrace. Everything is a little bit cold and distant. The songs mostly sound alike. They sound like something you've heard before. And, why not find that something else?

The album isn't a failure. It is fun. A couple of the songs will make it on to my workout mix. Or a mix CD of hipster dance songs. I'd like to see some of these songs receive the remix treatment.

The album will be lovely on warm summer nights before going out to dance...

C+

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but I also love the cd. But your assessment of it being a cool companion for warm summer sunsets, paired with cocktails a plenty, is spot on.

    Head First is a standout for me.

    I hated Seventh Tree but now I love it. And I'm just glad they do their own thing and don't try to do anything but that. While this album feels forced at times, it's also totally natural.

    ReplyDelete