Sunday, February 7, 2010

The House of the Devil



Perhaps it is unfair to call a horror film charming. But, that is the best way to describe this film.

I have seen many/most horror films. I consider myself an obsessive fan. Watching the shittiest, cheapest, etc horror films for the sake of watching horror. So, I feel I am just in saying The House of the Devil is extremely smart and fairly successful.

The writer/director sets the film in the early 80s and the film appears to have been made about the same time. The colors, music, mood... everything seems legit. Nothing feels forced in capturing the style of a late 70s/early 80s horror film.

The greatest part of the film is the slow build. Roger Ebert refers to the film as "Hitchcockian" in the suspense building. And, this is very true. The first 2/3 of the film follows the mantra 'less is more.' Sounds, shadows, suggestions scare you for the majority of the film.

I adored this blood bath.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment