Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Special Affections, Diamond Rings


My first experience with Diamond Rings was from listening to the single 'Wait & See.' The music is catchy and the lyrics are playful. At the same time, I wasn't drawn in enough. The cover of the single reminded me of more 80s punk than what I was hearing from the song. The B-side of the single is 'One Fire.' This track is not available on the full length release of Special Affections. After hearing two songs from Diamond Rings I was very quick to think the act was just trying to fit into the Patrick Wolf world of music. It felt too similar to be distinctive.

On the full length album, Diamond Rings moves a little bit away from the Patrick Wolf sound. It is still there. The deeper tone of the voice, the instruments used, the dramatics of the whole thing... very Patrick Wolf. But, there is more pop present in the sounds of Diamond Rings. After the albums release, I started to search for information on Diamond Rings. I found a couple videos. There is something Boy George meets Lady Gaga meets awkward youth about the artist. I enjoy the androgyny of his look, sound, and music.

This is the type of album that is great for fitting your mood. There is enough to make this a slow, sad album. But, at the same time, you can easily find yourself dancing around to the same songs you were saddened by. I think it has been a long time since I last found an album that so easily fits into a mood. It is a tricky line, but done oh so well on this album.

Diamond Rings is not just a singer. He's a personality. I like to think there is more than just style about him. There is a lot of individuality at play. There is an entire theory at play within his person. I respect the confidence and the awkwardness of John O. A voice to remind you of The Magnetic Fields, a look to remind you of Patrick Wolf, and a playfulness to remind you of Simon Curtis.

This album hasn't made it to my Best of 2010. Yet. But, I feel with enough listens I'll be on his side in no time.

B

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect the confidence and the awkwardness of John O. It is a great play singer, he release a new album 'Wait & See'. I hearing songs from Diamond Rings I was very quick to think the act was just trying to fit into the Patrick Wolf world of music.
    Best Regards
    Diamond Engagement Rings

    ReplyDelete