Saturday, November 13, 2010

Matador


I am always confused when I read reviews of Almodovar’s films and they discuss the sexual tones. When they make reference to his sexual thrillers. I always assumed critics were just being a little too “American” about the way Almodovar uses dialogue about sex in his films. But, after Matador, I realize they are referencing actual sex in his films. Matador is filled with some pretty racy scenes. And, when the scenes aren’t sex, the suggestion certainly exists.

At this point in Almodovar’s career, the role of homosexuality in his films is clearly significant. And, I adore the way he presents sexuality. Never is queer made to be an issue. In the Almodovar world, transsexuals, lesbians, gays, and bisexuals coexist with heterosexuals. This is a perfect world when it comes to sexuality.

Matador is a thriller in every sense of the word. There are women disappearing, men being murdered, and an attempted rape. All by the same person? Different people? And, why is the village innocent confessing to these murders? Is there something more sinister behind his eyes?

Antonio Banderas stars in this film. I have to say, I know very little of Banderas’ film career. I have only seen him in, maybe, two other films? And, I have never been a fan of his acting or image. But, I must confess, in Matador… Banderas puts on a great show. His acting fits with the rest of the cast. And, he is very beautiful in his youth. I was smitten from the start.

Almodovar is starting to use color more. This is the first film I have noticed him use colors in a way similar to his more recent films. The clothes are a little brighter. The backgrounds a little more bright. There is a scene with an eclipse which is quite beautiful (although, a bad point in the writing). And, a couple times, during a scene change, there are flashes of bright colors.

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment