Tuesday, June 1, 2010

(500) Days of Summer

I remember my first viewing of this film. I was slightly annoyed at how 'cutesy' the film wanted to be. The musical number, the Godard and Bergman references, the soundtrack (although, I love, love, love The Smiths), and the quick dialogue. These aren't bad things. In fact, they're all really fun and playful ways to tell a story. But, somehow, I found them slightly overbearing when all thrown together in one and a half hours.

Also, from my first viewing, I remember thinking... "This is a hipster version of Annie Hall." The film starts from the end, jumps back and forth throughout their time together, and ends in a similar manner. Not to mention the characters are almost spot on. The Joseph Gordon Levitt character is so similar to Woody Allen (quick witted, neurotic, overly romantic) and Zooey Deschanel is clearly inspired by Diane Keaton (vein, melodramatic, flighty, cruel at times).

I wonder if we're supposed to like Ms. Deschanel's character in the film. Because I don't. She reminds me of so many people I've met in my life. So painfully unhappy and lost in their unhappiness that they start to rip apart the happiness of others. She picks at the idea of love others have, she sneers at those with jobs that aren't quite to their own liking, and she is a bit of a snob when it comes to art, music, etc. Alright, perhaps her character is a little too much like me. But, that doesn't mean I have to like her.

The film is playful. The performances are honest. It was my second viewing. I would watch it again. But, there needs to be a longer break between this showing and the next.

C+

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I see things like this, I feel such revulsion similar to seeing American Pie films.

    ReplyDelete