Thursday, June 24, 2010

Night Work, Scissor Sisters


Recently I can be quoted as saying "imitation is flattery, but not entertaining." This was in reference to Lady Gaga's music video for 'Alejandro.' I stand by this opinion for that video and that song. But, I don't think this statement can cover all artist who imitate other artist. And, with that being said... Night Work is imitation as flattery and entertainment.

I have never been a huge fan of the Scissor Sisters. I think my beef rests in my hatred of Elton John. And, Elton John has always praised Jake Shears (and, I believe, a lot of vice versa has gone on). Not a good reason to dislike a band. But, after I've listened to a couple of their albums, I only find myself drawn to a few songs per album. I think they exist somewhere between a Rufus Wainwright and a Madonna sound. Both of these artists are great, but as a band falling in the middle... I never spent too much time with their records.

On Night Work they have changed my mind. This album does for the late 70s/early 80s what Goldfrapp's Head First was trying to do for the same period. Obviously the Scissor Sisters have succeeded. The songs are filled with enough energy to get your ready for a little bit of dancing. I would love to hear remixes of most of these songs.

Now, to the imitation part of the review. There are only a few songs on the album that sound like the Scissor Sisters. And, even then, the songs sound like another band. But, while listening to the album there are songs that sound dead on Dire Straits (Money for Nothing), Dead or Alive (You Spin Me Right Round), Pet Shop Boys (West End Girls), Bee Gees (insert any song title), and a bit of Michael Jackson (the Vincent Price portion of Thriller). This should be a bad thing. To so easily pick out these exact songs as the reference for the Scissor Sisters song. But, it isn't bad. It's fun. It's uplifting. It's almost perfect.

As someone who spent a lot of his Friday nights dancing around the club to 80s music theme nights, this album is a giant welcome to the mix.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment